• limetorrent
  • What’s Happening in Golden?

    Golden Eye Candy – Alan Pinkus – Waxing Moon Over South Table Mountain – enlarge

    What’s Happening in Golden Today?

    Holiday Market Week begins @ Cannonball Creek Brewing

    6-6:55AM Dynamic Circuit (Virtual)
    8:30-9:30AM Power Training (Virtual)
    10AM-5PM Holiday Art Market @ Foothills Art Center
    10-10:55AM All Levels Yoga (Virtual)
    10AM Wild West Short Tour (1 hour)
    10AM Wild West Walking Tour (2 hours)
    10:15-10:45AM Let’s Dance @ Golden Library
    12-12:30PM Mondays with Mayor Weinberg (Virtual)
    2-3PM Active Minds Monday – Marie Curie (Virtual)
    4-4:30PM Kids Martial Arts Class (Virtual)

    6:30-8PM Book and Media Group
    This month’s book is The Sum of Us by Heather McGhee. We’ll discuss “the benefits we gain when people come together across race to accomplish what we simply can’t do on our own” and how lessons from the book apply here in Golden! We’ll meet in person and offer Zoom for anyone who wants to join online. Please RSVP to goldenantiracismcollective@gmail.com for the meeting location or Zoom link.

    Monthly gatherings to learn about racism and intersectional oppression from a variety of media: books, videos, podcasts, art, and music. Each month features a different topic and includes action steps to attain the GAC mission. Email: goldenantiracismcollective@gmail.com More information

    6:30PM Historic Preservation Board Meeting @ City Hall

    The Golden History Museum will describe their plan to seek a second grant from the State Historical Society to expand on the Indigenous Connections ethnographic study of Golden.

    HPB will be asked to grant a Certificate of Appropriateness for the property at 915 9th Street (map). The owners plan to demolish the current house, which was built in approximately 1873. They then plan to build a new 2,447 sq. ft. single family residence with a detached garage which will include a 523 square foot Accessory Dwelling Unit on the second floor. The property is within the 8th and 9th Street Historic District but is a non-contributing structure.

    Top – 1014 12th St. (middle house) | Bottom – side view showing the proposed addition – enlarge

    The second request for a Certificate of Appropriateness concerns the home at 1014 12th Street (map). This home was built in 1893 and is considered a contributing structure to the 12th Street Historic District. The owners propose retaining the front porch and two front rooms and demolishing the rest of the house. They also plan to replace the existing detached garage.

    American Legion Hall/Loveland Fire Station – Google Street View – click to enlarge

    The American Legion Post 21 is requesting historic designation for their building at 500 9th Street (map). The building originally served as home for the Loveland Hose Company (part of Golden’s Volunteer Fire Department). The American Legion Post 21 purchased the building in 1974 and has been based there for the past 48 years. If HPB agrees with this request, they will forward it to City Council for approval.

    Proposed redesign of the Highway 6/Heritage Road Intersection

    HPB is being asked to review the historical survey provided by the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) in preparation for the Hwy 6/Heritage Road redesign. CDOT concluded that Highway 6 is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places, but Heritage Road is not. The Jefferson County Historic Commission agreed with the Highway 6 designation, but opined that Heritage Road is also eligible, as it was the historic road to the town of Apex. City Staff concurs with this analysis and recommends that HPB submit comments to CDOT explaining Heritage Road’s historic significance.

    HPB will consider a change to their bylaws which would move their meetings from Monday nights to Wednesday nights.

    Holiday Canned Food Drive for BGOLDN @ On Tap Credit Union (map)All of December, On Tap Credit Union (map) is partnering with BGOLDN for a canned food drive. Bring in your cans, and you will be entered to win a gift card to one of our local brewery partners! We ask that before you bring in the items to please make sure they are not expired or damaged as these items cannot be used. Cheers to making a difference in our community.

    Holiday Food Drive @ Mountain Toad Brewery (map) and the Golden Visitor Center (map)Mountain Toad Brewery (map) and the Golden Visitor Center (map) are hosting a holiday food drive for the Christian Action Guild Food Pantry during the month of December. Food can be dropped off at either location in the donation boxes.

    Golden History Moment

    Mine superintendent’s house
    Martha Thompson did this drawing of the Ruby Mine superintendent’s house at 1219 12th St. Ms. Thompson came to Colorado in 1970. She is a substitute teacher in Jefferson County and works as a volunteer at Foothills Art Center.
    Pen and ink drawing from the calendar and a Google Street Images photo of 1219 12th Street – enlarge

    50 Years Ago
    The December 5, 1972 Golden Transcript featured an article about the Golden Landmarks Association and their efforts to preserve Golden’s architectural heritage.

    This drawing of Dr. Kelly’s house, 12th and Cheyenne, was done by Jackie McFarland. Ms. McFarland has lived in the Golden area for 25 years. She is primarily interested in paintings depicting the history of Colorado. A charter member of Foothills Art Center, she has exhibited her paintings in many Denver area galleries.
    Pen and ink drawing from the calendar and a Google Street Images photo of 12th & Cheyenne – enlarge

    GLA members were working hard to renovate the Astor House and bring it back to its 19th century appearance. To help fund their work, they published a calendar, which was illustrated with examples of Golden’s heritage, including the Astor House, the Armory, Castle Rock, and several historic homes. Nine local businesses covered the cost of printing the calendar, which could be purchased for $2.

    Railroad section foreman’s house
    Golden High School senior Carla Granquist did this drawing of the railroad section foreman’s house at 1714 Cheyenne. She has been a resident of Golden all her life. After high school she plans to attend college and pursue a career in art.

    Pen and ink drawing from the calendar and a Google Street Images photo of 1714 Cheyenne, where the house used to stand – enlarge

    Proceeds from calendar sales will be used to renovate the east room on the main floor of the Astor House4 and the entire upstairs.

    Thanks to the Golden History Museum for providing the online cache of historic Transcripts, and to the Golden Transcript for documenting our history since 1866!

    Many thanks to the people and organizations who support What's Happening in Golden?  If you would like to support local news, please CLICK HERE!

    DECEMBER SPONSORS: Buffalo Rose, Buglet Solar, Foothills Art Center, Golden City Brewery, Golden Cultural Alliance, Golden History Museum, Golden Super Cruise, Miners Alley Playhouse, The Golden Mill, Golden Chamber of Commerce, Golden History Tours, Joy and Jack Brandt, Tom Reiley, Elizabeth Chandler, and Aspire Colorado Refillable Body Care

    Contributors: Tall Pines Painting, Baby Doe's Clothing, Bike Walk Golden, Greg Poulos, Barry and Liz Bettis, Vic DeMaria, Cynthia Merrill Tamny, Bud Rockhill, Katelyn Cordle Johnson, Vicki Olson, and Beverly Irwin

    Ongoing Monthly Supporters:
    Golden Community Garden, Carol & Doug Harwood, Jennings & Litz, Brian Quarnstrom, Casey & Gina Brown, Bill Fisher, Cheryl & Tom Schweich, Robert Storrs, Karen Smith, Sandy Curran, Paul Haseman, Michele Sannes, Krista Spurgin, Kathy Smith, Crystal Culbert, Pat Madison, Donna Anderson, Ann Pattison, Carol & Don Cameron, Tom Hughes, Carolyn Grenier, Emeline Paulson, Susan Gray, David Smith, Karen Oxman, Laura King & Scott Wilson, Bill Sedgeley, Mariane Erickson, Carol Abel, Dot & Eric Brownson, Ann Norton & Jonathan Storer, Deb Goeldner, Rosemary Coffman, Jim & LouAnne Dale, Francine Butler, Steve & Mary Pero, Elaine Marolla, Dixie Termin & Ron Miller,John & Andi Pearson

    Previous Articles - Subscribe to What's Happening in Golden?