Lights, Cowboys, Textiles, Music, and the Street that Didn’t Happen

January 16, 2022

Golden Eye Candy – Nancy Bureson – Holiday Lights (Still Up!) – click to enlarge

Real World Events

10AM-3PM Brunch at the Rose @ Buffalo Rose
10AM Colorado Cowboy Gathering – Learn to Play Harmonica @ American Mountaineering Center
1PM Colorado Cowboy Gathering – Sunday Martinee @ American Mountaineering Center
Carol Heuchan, Jean Prescott, Andy Nelson, Susie Knight, Gary Allegretto

2:30-4:30PM Textile Society @ Golden Library


Live Music

2-5PM Sturtz @ Golden Mill
4-7PM CW Wooten @ Buffalo Rose (Sky Bar Stage)
8PM Karaoke @ Ace Hi Tavern


Golden History Moment


Open New Building Sites
Two bulldozers and a large dump truck are busily at work on a portion of South Table Mountain. They can be seen from some distance clinging to the steep side where they are building a road which will become South Belvedere Drive and which will serve as access to 15 or 16 lots to be called Belvedere Terrace. According to City Engineer, Vic Selferth, the property, owned by Dr. Robert Carpenter, 25 Mines Park, has been platted for some time. The site is now in the Phase Two step of construction. – Golden Transcript,
January 15, 1970

The January 15, 1970 Golden Transcript showed construction beginning on an extension to Belvedere Drive (map) on South Table Mountain. Developer Cliff Evans had originally planned to build much higher on the mountain, as shown in an advertisement from 1959:


Colorado Transcript – October 29, 1959 – click to enlarge

As planned, there would have been another street above Table Drive. However, as construction began, rocks began to fall and soil began to slip. Eventually, the City decided that the area was too unstable to support additional roads and houses. This turned out to be quite a break for the residents of Table Drive, as the land was eventually acquired by Jefferson County Open Space.


1959 Subdivision plan on the left, and Google Map on the right, with the unbuilt roads shown in pink – click to enlarge

Thanks to the Golden History Museum for providing the online cache of historic Transcripts, and to the Golden Transcript for documenting our history since 1866!