Full Moon, Neighborhood Plans, and Early Construction Materials

December 7, 2022

Golden Eye Candy – Chris Davell – Full Moon – enlarge

The moon will be full tonight at 9:09PM. It will rise at 4:09PM and set at 7:29 tomorrow morning. Source

What’s Happening in Golden Today?

6-6:55AM Cardio Lift Interval (Virtual)
8:30-9:30AM Power Training (Virtual)
9AM Golden Walks – Wednesday Morning Celebrating Life @ Golden Library
10AM-5PM Holiday Art Market @ Foothills Art Center
10AM and 1PM Wild West Walking Tour (2 hours)
10AM Wild West Short Tour (1 hour)
10:15-10:45AM Toddler Time @ Golden Library
10-10:55AM All Levels Yoga (Virtual)
3-5PM Hard Times Writing Workshop (Virtual)

Golden’s Designated Neighborhoods.

6:30PM Planning Commission Study @ City Hall
The Planning Commission will be going through our several neighborhood plans and evaluating our progress.

7:30PM A Christmas Story @ Miners Alley Playhouse
9:09PM Full Moon

Live Music

6:30PM Open Jam/Mic at Over Yonder Brewing

Golden History Moment

This week, the Historic Preservation Board had a lengthy discussion about the age of a house that is slated to be demolished. The conversation came down to the question of whether there was log construction hidden within the walls or if it was entirely built of lumber. That issue was still fresh in my mind when I happened across the article below, which states that sawed lumber was being produced locally as early as July of 1859.

163 Years Ago
George West, founder of the Golden Transcript, was one of the earliest white settlers here in 1859. True to his nature, he started a newspaper six months after his arrival. The first issue of the short-lived Western Mountaineer was published on December 7, 1859. In it, he provided the following account of Golden’s first few months. (I’ve added paragraph breaks to improve readability.)

Golden in July of 1869 – Preliminary Field Report of The United States Geological
Survey of Colorado and New Mexico, 1869, by F. V. Hayden – enlarge

Early in the last spring thousands of gold seekers here pitched their tents preparatory to pushing on into the heart of the mountains….

About the first of June several claims were staked off upon either bank of the creek and recorded as farming and ranching claims. As the emigration came pouring in from the several routes across the plains, all were pushing for the mountains and here nearly all halted to store a portion of their provisions and send out their prospecting parties.

It became evident at once that this was a good point to build up a town. Those who had taken up claims joined with others for the purpose of laying out the town and having it surveyed and plotted. On the 16th of June the first meeting was held, and the initiatory steps taken to carry forward the work.

1859 Plat of Golden showing a saw mill at the confluence of Kinney Run and Clear Creek – Denver Public Library Western History Collection – enlarge

Previous to this a toll bridge had been thrown across the creek; the town association at once entered into negotiations with the proprietors of the bridge and made it free. This liberal policy won the good opinion of all, and a large proportion of the travel to the mountains has passed through Golden City. Immediately after the town had been surveyed, buildings for dwellings and stores began to be erected.

Boston Company building, constructed at 10th and Washington during the summer of 1859 – log construction – enlarge

At first they were of hewed logs, but a stream-sawmill having located here in July, most of the houses then commenced were partially built of sawed lumber; shortly after the first mill was put in operation a second one was established, and by creating a healthy competition the people have been enabled to erect a substantial and comely class of buildings at a very moderate cost.

Loveland’s store (far right), built of sawed lumber during the summer of 1859 – Golden History Museum Collection – enlarge

Already many far-seeing and enterprising merchants have located here, and at present there are a large number of persons in the pineries getting out timber for the purpose of building their winter quarters, and before another month has passed the number of houses will doubtless be more than doubled.
Western Mountaineer – December 7, 1859

Thanks to the Golden History Museum for providing the online cache of historic Transcripts, and to the Golden Transcript for documenting our history since 1866!

Colorado Gives Day, a Complicated Council Agenda, and Celebratory Lights

December 6, 2022

Golden Eye Candy – Karen Oxman – Reflections – enlarge

Colorado Gives Day

This is Colorado Gives Day–an especially good day to contribute to the causes you support, because all donations will be subsidized with additional funding.

In addition to several Golden-based cultural and charitable organizations, I support the Colorado Freedom of Information Coalition. As the saying goes, “sunlight is the best disinfectant!”

What’s Happening in Golden Today?

9-10AM Women’s Exercise and Bible Study @ First United Methodist Church
9:15-9:45AM Baby Time @ Golden Library
10AM-5PM Holiday Art Market @ Foothills Art Center
10-10:45AM Storybook Tour @ Colorado Railroad Museum
10AM and 1PM Wild West Walking Tour (2 hours)
10AM, 1PM, and 3:30PM Wild West Short Tour (1 hour)
10:15-10:45AM Preschool Time @ Golden Library
1-3PM Hexie Ladies @ Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum

5PM City Council Study Meeting @ City Hall
City Council is moving to a new schedule tonight. The business meeting will still start at 6:30, but the study session will start early–at 5PM. They will also hold an executive session from 6-6:30.

5PM City Council Study Session
During the Study Session, staff will review the results of the 2022 Community Survey. The Parks director will report on his proposal to convert Ulysses Park into multi-use sports fields.

6PM City Council Executive Session (no public, no cameras)
They will begin the business meeting with the roll call and approval of agenda at 6PM, then go into Executive Session.

Consent Agenda:
They will approve on first reading an ordinance which gives the City Manager authority to reorganize city departments. It also changes the City’s employee bonding policy. There will be a second reading and public hearing on December 13th.

They will adopt a resolution amending the IGA between Jefferson County Public Health and the city regarding “healthy beverages for children’s meals ordinance enforcement.” The amendment says that the agreement will automatically renew every year unless one party withdraws.

They will approve a $116,400 contract for human resources information system services, with a one-time set up fee of $29,250.

They will approve a one year $342,996 contract for janitorial services in city-owned buildings.

Executive Session (6-6:30, off-camera):
They will discuss the possibility of annexing land to the city: “The Area South Of Interstate 70, North Of Thunder Valley Motocross Park, East Of The Hogback, And West Of Green Mountain.”

6:30PM Business Meeting (open to the public)

Public Comment
You may provide public comment in person at the beginning of the meeting or send it via email to PublicComment@cityofgolden.net. Comments sent before 3PM will be added to the agenda.

They will read a proclamation for Colorado Gives Day.

They will approve a salary increase for the City Manager from $230,000 to $240,000.

They will approve an amendment to the agreement with the City Attorney, clarifying the scope and setting the new rates for 2023.

They will hold a public hearing prior to voting on several items:

• new water and wastewater rates and charges
drainage service and facility monthly usage fees
• an amendment to the 2022 budget
the 2023 budget
the 2023 mill levy for the general fund and DDA property taxes

After comments by council and staff, they will close the regular business meeting and open the annual GDGID business meeting.

Golden Downtown General Improvement District (GDGID) Business Meeting
City Council holds this meeting once a year. The GDGID was established in 1963 to set aside specific funds to buy and maintain downtown parking space. This year, staff proposes transferring $50K of that money back to the City’s general fund to help pay for the ongoing parking study. They also plan to hire someone to enforce downtown parking regulations. Staff proposes transferring $70K in 2023 and $100K in 2024 from the GDGID fund to the general fund to cover the new hire.

5:30-7:30PM Textile Society @ Golden Library
6:30-8:30PM Bar Bingo Night @ VFW Post 4171
7:30PM A Christmas Story @ Miners Alley Playhouse

Live Music

6PM Karaoke with Linda @ Dirty Dogs Roadhouse
6PM Open Pick Night @ Over Yonder Brewing


6PM Trivia Tuesdays @ Golden Mill

6:30-8:30PM Team Trivia Tuesdays @ Buffalo Rose

Golden History Moment

Golden’s holiday lights in 2022 – Chris Davell – enlarge

While not officially under a blackout during World War II, Golden was fairly dark during the war years. One reason was general wartime thrift. Citizens believed that they should conserve electricity so it could be used “for the war effort.” After a decade of Depression, conservation came naturally to Americans. A second reason for the dark nights was that Golden had few streetlights: there were lights downtown, but not many in the residential neighborhoods. A third reason was that, for some reason, there was an epidemic of people vandalizing streetlights during the War. The power company repeatedly begged people to stop targeting the lights because it was so hard to get replacement bulbs.

77 Years Ago
The December 6, 1945 Colorado Transcript,with the War finally over, ran an editorial encouraging citizens to turn on their porch lights during the month of December.

there is nothing more beautiful than to see the lights of a great city—they mean peace, life, business and prosperity. It looks as if Golden is going to have to skip its colored lights on the Avenue again this year —but what every loyal citizen could do —and it wouldn’t cost much either, only about 2 or 3 cents a week —the front porch light at every home could be turned on every night from now until New Year’s. This one light on every porch at every home would bring Christmas cheer and goodwill to all Golden people, and would be a welcoming season’s greeting to all those who chanced to pass this way, or who look down on our little city from the mountain top.

Thanks to the Golden History Museum for providing the online cache of historic Transcripts, and to the Golden Transcript for documenting our history since 1866!

Historic Structures

December 5, 2022

Golden Eye Candy – Alan Pinkus – Waxing Moon Over South Table Mountain – enlarge

What’s Happening in Golden Today?

Holiday Market Week begins @ Cannonball Creek Brewing

6-6:55AM Dynamic Circuit (Virtual)
8:30-9:30AM Power Training (Virtual)
10AM-5PM Holiday Art Market @ Foothills Art Center
10-10:55AM All Levels Yoga (Virtual)
10AM Wild West Short Tour (1 hour)
10AM Wild West Walking Tour (2 hours)
10:15-10:45AM Let’s Dance @ Golden Library
12-12:30PM Mondays with Mayor Weinberg (Virtual)
2-3PM Active Minds Monday – Marie Curie (Virtual)
4-4:30PM Kids Martial Arts Class (Virtual)

6:30-8PM Book and Media Group
This month’s book is The Sum of Us by Heather McGhee. We’ll discuss “the benefits we gain when people come together across race to accomplish what we simply can’t do on our own” and how lessons from the book apply here in Golden! We’ll meet in person and offer Zoom for anyone who wants to join online. Please RSVP to goldenantiracismcollective@gmail.com for the meeting location or Zoom link.

Monthly gatherings to learn about racism and intersectional oppression from a variety of media: books, videos, podcasts, art, and music. Each month features a different topic and includes action steps to attain the GAC mission. Email: goldenantiracismcollective@gmail.com More information

6:30PM Historic Preservation Board Meeting @ City Hall

The Golden History Museum will describe their plan to seek a second grant from the State Historical Society to expand on the Indigenous Connections ethnographic study of Golden.

HPB will be asked to grant a Certificate of Appropriateness for the property at 915 9th Street (map). The owners plan to demolish the current house, which was built in approximately 1873. They then plan to build a new 2,447 sq. ft. single family residence with a detached garage which will include a 523 square foot Accessory Dwelling Unit on the second floor. The property is within the 8th and 9th Street Historic District but is a non-contributing structure.

Top – 1014 12th St. (middle house) | Bottom – side view showing the proposed addition – enlarge

The second request for a Certificate of Appropriateness concerns the home at 1014 12th Street (map). This home was built in 1893 and is considered a contributing structure to the 12th Street Historic District. The owners propose retaining the front porch and two front rooms and demolishing the rest of the house. They also plan to replace the existing detached garage.

American Legion Hall/Loveland Fire Station – Google Street View – click to enlarge

The American Legion Post 21 is requesting historic designation for their building at 500 9th Street (map). The building originally served as home for the Loveland Hose Company (part of Golden’s Volunteer Fire Department). The American Legion Post 21 purchased the building in 1974 and has been based there for the past 48 years. If HPB agrees with this request, they will forward it to City Council for approval.

Proposed redesign of the Highway 6/Heritage Road Intersection

HPB is being asked to review the historical survey provided by the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) in preparation for the Hwy 6/Heritage Road redesign. CDOT concluded that Highway 6 is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places, but Heritage Road is not. The Jefferson County Historic Commission agreed with the Highway 6 designation, but opined that Heritage Road is also eligible, as it was the historic road to the town of Apex. City Staff concurs with this analysis and recommends that HPB submit comments to CDOT explaining Heritage Road’s historic significance.

HPB will consider a change to their bylaws which would move their meetings from Monday nights to Wednesday nights.

Holiday Canned Food Drive for BGOLDN @ On Tap Credit Union (map)All of December, On Tap Credit Union (map) is partnering with BGOLDN for a canned food drive. Bring in your cans, and you will be entered to win a gift card to one of our local brewery partners! We ask that before you bring in the items to please make sure they are not expired or damaged as these items cannot be used. Cheers to making a difference in our community.

Holiday Food Drive @ Mountain Toad Brewery (map) and the Golden Visitor Center (map)Mountain Toad Brewery (map) and the Golden Visitor Center (map) are hosting a holiday food drive for the Christian Action Guild Food Pantry during the month of December. Food can be dropped off at either location in the donation boxes.

Golden History Moment

Mine superintendent’s house
Martha Thompson did this drawing of the Ruby Mine superintendent’s house at 1219 12th St. Ms. Thompson came to Colorado in 1970. She is a substitute teacher in Jefferson County and works as a volunteer at Foothills Art Center.
Pen and ink drawing from the calendar and a Google Street Images photo of 1219 12th Street – enlarge

50 Years Ago
The December 5, 1972 Golden Transcript featured an article about the Golden Landmarks Association and their efforts to preserve Golden’s architectural heritage.

This drawing of Dr. Kelly’s house, 12th and Cheyenne, was done by Jackie McFarland. Ms. McFarland has lived in the Golden area for 25 years. She is primarily interested in paintings depicting the history of Colorado. A charter member of Foothills Art Center, she has exhibited her paintings in many Denver area galleries.
Pen and ink drawing from the calendar and a Google Street Images photo of 12th & Cheyenne – enlarge

GLA members were working hard to renovate the Astor House and bring it back to its 19th century appearance. To help fund their work, they published a calendar, which was illustrated with examples of Golden’s heritage, including the Astor House, the Armory, Castle Rock, and several historic homes. Nine local businesses covered the cost of printing the calendar, which could be purchased for $2.

Railroad section foreman’s house
Golden High School senior Carla Granquist did this drawing of the railroad section foreman’s house at 1714 Cheyenne. She has been a resident of Golden all her life. After high school she plans to attend college and pursue a career in art.

Pen and ink drawing from the calendar and a Google Street Images photo of 1714 Cheyenne, where the house used to stand – enlarge

Proceeds from calendar sales will be used to renovate the east room on the main floor of the Astor House4 and the entire upstairs.

Thanks to the Golden History Museum for providing the online cache of historic Transcripts, and to the Golden Transcript for documenting our history since 1866!

CSM Philharmonic Orchestra Concert, Blues, and 1986

December 4, 2022

Golden Eye Candy – Chris Davell – Holiday Lights – enlarge

What’s Happening in Golden Today?

8:30-9:30AM Power Training (Virtual)
9-10:30AM Golden Elf Academy @ Golden Mill
9:30-11:30AM Full Walking Tour @ Dinosaur Ridge (except 12/25)
10AM-3PM Brunch at the Rose @ Buffalo Rose

12-5PM Holiday Art Market @ Foothills Art Center
The annual Holiday Art Market (HART) at Foothills Art Center in Golden, CO is a premier holiday venue for fabulous fine art and craft made in Colorado. Visitors are immersed in a unique holiday marketplace featuring an array of handmade gifts for everyone on their holiday gift giving list. Over 100 Colorado artists offer ceramics, fiber, glass, jewelry, paintings, woodworking, photography and much more. Plus, your purchases of these one-of-a-kind treasure helps support both local artists and Foothills Art Center! Admission and activities are free (donations accepted). 303-279-3922. Visit www.foothillsartcenter.org.

12PM 4th Annual Holiday Market @ Mountain Toad

1-3PM Advent Festival @ First United Methodist Church (map)
You are invited to an Advent Festival with crafts, carols, ornament-making, cupcake-decorating, a participatory play, hot cocoa and balloons. It will be held at the Fellowship Hall. Free. RSVP Christina Bryan 303-359-1878 or christina.bryan@colorado.edu. More information

2PM A Christmas Story @ Miners Alley Playhouse

2-6PM Holiday Shakedown Street Art Market @ Over Yonder

2PM CSM Philharmonic Orchestra Fall Concert @ Green Center
Masakazu Ito – Music Director and Conductor
Kirsten Carpenter – Guest Soprano
W.A. Mozart: The Marriage of Figaro Overture 
Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 2
Benjamin Britten: Five Courtly Dances from Gloriana
Manuel de Falla: El Amor Brujo

There are no tickets, and admission is free. More information

Live Music

Will Whalen

11AM-2PM Will Whalen @ Buffalo Rose (Sky Bar Stage)

12PM Colorado Blues Society IBC Send Off Party – IBC Road to Memphis @ Buffalo Rose

Sturtz at the Golden Mill

2-5PM Sturtz @ Golden Mill

4-7PM Kyle O’Brien @ Buffalo Rose (Sky Bar Stage)
8PM Karaoke @ Ace Hi Tavern

Golden History Moment

Oh Happy Day–the History Museum has posted another three years of Golden Transcripts! This newest batch takes us up to mid-September, 1987.

36 Years Ago
The December 4, 1986 Golden Transcript offers interesting glimpses of life in Golden in 1986.

Sam’s Land – Golden History Museum Collection – 300 10th St. (map)

A part-time bartender at Sam’s Land had been caught selling amphetamines at the bar and had sold alcohol to two under-aged women. In consequence, City Council handed the bar a 10-day suspension on selling liquor.

The County’s plan to expand their gravel pit in Golden Gate Canyon was complicated when a group of scientists testified that the adjacent rock was radioactive.

Robert Horton, a professional geologist with experience in uranium exploration testified that if the county began excavating gravel from this site, there is a distinct possibility that the county would be “loading radioactive gravel into trucks and spreading it all over the county.”

The Holiday Inn advertised a dance contest every Friday and Saturday night.

822 10th Street

The home at 822 10th Street was for sale at $135,000, and the current mortgage could be assumed, with its desirable 9-1/2% interest rate.

Advertisement for Mesa Meadows – Golden Transcript, December 4, 1986

Mesa Meadows was under construction at the time, and four companies were busily building homes on the former Foss Ranch.

A Visit Downtown – enlarge

Rotary Club of Golden was chartered that year, and–as one of their first fund-raisers–they had commissioned a painting by Barbara Froula called “A Visit Downtown.” They were selling prints for $20 apiece. By taking some liberties with geography, the picture showed a number of interesting Golden highlights. Many of them are now gone, including Heritage Square, the Holland House Hotel, Foss Drug, The Merc restaurant, Sportsman Barber Shop, the original Mitchell Elementary, and Steve’s Corner Western Wear store. Folk dancers in the street represent the annual Oktoberfest. The long-running Scottish Highland games were depicted by a bagpiper, and Buffalo Bill rode through downtown on a white horse.

Thanks to the Golden History Museum for providing the online cache of historic Transcripts, and to the Golden Transcript for documenting our history since 1866!